Conference venue and Accommodation

During the Second World War, The University of Edinburgh resolved to make George Square the centre of its post-war development. In 1949, Sir Edward Appleton (Nobel Prize winner for Physics and the Principal from 1948 to 1965) embraced the spirit of the age and to achieve an architectural outcome of high quality, he brought in some of Scotland’s leading architects. In 1954, Sir Basil Spence was appointed planning consultant. Spence’s imaginative drawings determined the template of the new George Square, proposing a series of towers to the east, of which but two were realised.

Conference Venue

Appleton Tower,
11 Crichton Street,
Edinburgh,
EH8 9LE
 
A map showing the location of Appleton Tower can be found at
 
Aware of the contemporary fear of an emerging schism between the arts and sciences, Sir Edward Appleton (Nobel Prize winner for Physics and the Principal from 1948 to 1965) decreed that science undergraduates should spend their first year in the city-centre campus, and be encouraged to take courses in the humanities, as well as participate in student societies and extra-mural activities, so that undergraduates, and indeed staff, from different faculties would mingle. Appropriately, following Appleton’s death in 1965, his “Fundamental Science Building”, designed by Alan Reiach, was named after the "Appleton Tower".
 
Further infomation:

 

Accommodation

Recommended accomodation is the Pollock Halls of Residence, near the foot of Arthur's Seat and short distance (15 minutes walk) from the conference venue. At Pollock Halls of Residence, you can choose between the following two types of accommodation at different rates (conference booking code for benefitting from special conference rates upon conference registration):

 
Other accommodation options having agreements with the conferece will be released soon.